Thursday, October 26, 2006

The 17th Street High Heel Race - Tuesday October 24th, 2006

-
THE MOST FABULOUSLY RAUCOUS RACE EVER!!!!!!!!

"Traditionally held on the Tuesday before Halloween, this annual neighborhood event features elaborately costumed drag queens racing down 17th Street (from Q to Church streets) and attracts a large crowd eager to cheer them on. The race begins at 9, but the real fun takes place before the main event, as the contestants parade up and down the race course showing off their outfits. The informal block party continues long after the last Mary Jane (size 13 EE) crosses the finish line." ~ Washington Post

To get any sense of what insanity transpired on 17th Street this Tuesday, click on this link to see a short video put together by the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2006/10/24/VI2006102400655.html

So I spent the last week assembling my costume for the big race. Thigh-high white leather platform-heel boots, feather boa, leather choker, and body glitter from the Pleasure Place. Red plaid skirt from Urban Outfitters. White button-up shirt from H&M. Pink wig from Commander Salamander. I won't disclose how and where my buddy Adam Kutcher got his priest outfit.

See the picture of me above with my housemates before heading over to 17th Street. Believe me - hailing a cab was not difficult. In fact, I didn't need a cab as I got picked up by a couple in their 50's who thought I was a prostitute at first but then realized where I must be going and wanted to give me a ride. I am sure they had fun telling all their friends about their out of the ordinary ride from Georgetown to Dupont Circle that night.

I got to JR's on 17th Street at 7:30 p.m. and the scene was already raging. So many people gathered for an evening of drinking and gawking. Oh my god gawking. Everyone would not stop staring and whistling and asking me to take a picture with them. I met up with my brother Steven at JR's where I got registered for the race and then had some beers in their beer garten. Then Adam Kutcher finally showed up - we were priest and naughty catholic school girl together at last.

Parading was unbelievable. I ran into my friend Filip who was Orange Fanta together with the other three Fanta Girls. Everyone's outfits were totally outrageous. So many friends were out to watch and were screaming at us parading up and down the street. I ran into the newly elected mayor of DC Adrian Fenty who shook my hand and told me I was looking beautiful. No joke! I got in a little bit of stretching and did some strides and it was time for the race to begin.

We lined up at Church St and believe me there was a lot of elbowing trying to get to the front of the starting line. People on the left side of the street were screaming "HIGH" and people on the right side were screaming "HEEL" back and forth like the "tastes great / less filling" Bud Lite commercial. The gun went off at 9:00 p.m. and we were off. I had the desire but not the shoes on to win. I sprinted the four blocks hard but my heels were just too tall and clumsy and I couldn't keep up with the leaders. I crossed the finish line somewhere in the 10th-15th place range but am absolutely certain I had the fastest time/heel ratio of any drag queen racing Tuesday night.

The block party began only minutes after the race had just begun. An overwhelming number of friends came over to tell me how beautiful I was and how fast I had run. Many more pictures with people on the street. A huge group of us went to Annie's Steak House and caused a scene at the bar I am sure that restaurant won't see again for a long while. At some point a few of us moved over to Cobalt for their Tuesday night 80's dance party that was more fun than ever. I ran into the winner of the race carrying the golden high heel trophy and we did a shot together. I told him to watch out in 2007.

What an amazing night! I am already planning my outfit for next year. And am already strategizing on how I am going to be first across that finish line to win the golden high heel.

No comments: