Sunday, October 22, 2006

PACE Race 5K -- Saturday October 21st, 2006


At 7 a.m. on Saturday October 21st Bill Scully and I drove down to West Potomac Park to run the third annual PACE Race 5K, an event organized every year to raise awareness about prostate cancer. The course is a speedy out and back starting in West Potomac Park and returning from halfway down the river side of East Potomac Park. I actually got more than a couple hours of sleep and didn't have too much to drink the night before and was feeling pretty good except quite a bit chilly. The gun went off at 8 a.m. and we all took off. The cold air was painful to the lungs with the first deep breaths, and the hands were completely numb for the duration of the run. About 10 of us had broken away by the 1 mile mark but the leaders were running an insane pace and I just couldn't keep up. After crossing the 2 mile mark I knew I was going to make it and turned up the pace for the run to the finish. I wound up crossing the finish line in 19 minutes 6 seconds (6:10 mile pace), good for 9th place overall out of 212 runners and 1st place in the males age 25-29 group. I got a $25 gift certificate to Safeway and a $25 gift certificate to the restaurant Glory Days. Bill also finished well on what turned out to be a beautiful fall day. Two weeks until New York!!!

No comments: